We recently kicked off a new year of Brews + Biz with a session on developing a marketing plan. Brews + Biz is the Boone EDC’s small business educational series (formerly called Business and Brewskis) where small business owners and entrepreneurs can network and learn about topics and tools needed for success.
When you start out in business, two things are scarce: time and resources. To create an effective business strategy and ensure you’re not wasting time or money, you need a marketing plan.
Here’s a glimpse at what to include in the plan:
- Target market – Who is your ideal customer and what are their habits and behaviors?
- Positioning statement – What makes you different?
- Goals – What do you want to accomplish?
- Competitive analysis – Who are your competitors and how are your products and services different?
- Methods – What actions do you need to take to help you reach your target market and accomplish your goals?
- Budget – How much do you plan to spend?
- Metrics – How can you tell your efforts are successful?
Remember: keep it simple. The simpler the plan, the more effective it can be. A simple plan also gives you the flexibility to quickly adjust your tactics if you need to.
The new Brews + Biz will be on Tuesday, March 12 at zWORKS from 5:30-7 p.m. Come discuss small business financing, including tips of the trade and specific financing opportunities available to small businesses. Register here.
If you’re a small business owner in Boone County, please reach out to our small business extraordinaire Rachel with any questions or concerns. She’d love to help!