July 16th, 2015 – LEBANON, IN – The Boone EDC and Indiana Small Business Development Center (ISBDC) hosted a “Launch Your Own Business” Seminar at the Lebanon Public Library, targeting those early stage businesses in and around Boone County. Special thanks to Kevin Jones, ISBDC Business Advisor, for his presentation. The ISBDC offers seminars and consulting services (along with tools and resources for enhancing your business). More information on the ISBDC can be found at http://www.isbdc.org/.
Here’s some highlights from the meeting:
- The Resources: There’s lots of them out there! The ISBDC (and Boone EDC) are valuable partners for small businesses because we can connect you to the resources you are looking for early in your start-up and later down the road when you are growing.
- The Business Plan: Moving your business idea from concept to getting it on “paper” (or a computer) is critical to your long term success! The ISBDC can offer you resources on how best to create your business plan.
- The “Why”: Understanding why you are becoming an entrepreneur is a very important “soul searching” quest you must take. Knowing the answer will help you during the rough spots.
- The Numbers: Know your numbers! The ISBDC has many resources for helping you understand all the numbers that are so important to your business. They can help remove the “scary” element from the numbers.
- The Knowledge: Ask lots of questions! Contact friends, family members, mentors, current employers in the market, previous employers, and of course the Boone EDC and ISBDC for advice and assistance.
Launching your own business can be exciting and very rewarding! It also will have a significant impact on your life. Being ready with all the right resources can make this impact a bit more manageable. The Boone EDC also heard from entrepreneurs like John Wechsler of Launch Fishers and Hannah Kaufman Joseph of King David Dogs at an Indy Chamber hosted luncheon. Here’s some advice from those who have been down the road of entrepreneurship and succeeded:
What would you say to complete this phrase: “If I had only known…”?
- It always costs more and takes longer than you originally think.
- Learn from those who are trusted and successful and take a sheet from their book.
- If it is not working, don’t be afraid to change it, pivot it, or cut it all together; the next “big break” is never “just around the corner.”
- KNOW YOUR NUMBERS! Working harder than everyone else is something that entrepreneurs do, but, being intelligent about your businesses is much more satisfying that just gritting your teeth and trying harder.
Questions about business resources in Boone County? Contact Ben Worrell at firstname.lastname@example.org / 317.719.1990